August 20, 2013
Reham Aarti, Anja Baird, Justin Boggs, Hannah Crumrine (Secretary), Soren Jacobsen (President), Martin Johncox, Amy Lytle, Jenny Moorman, Lynn Norton, Lee-Mark Ruff, Petra Schwarthoff (Vice President)
Thursday, September 12, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
Reham provided an update about the bike rack for the middle/high school. The project is still in progress but closer to being complete.
- Soren has created SCN specific accounts that can be passed among officers and volunteers rather than relying on personal accounts. The SCN accounts are: VounteerSpot, Gmail and the Google calendar, and MailChimp.
- Soren asked whether the group was interested in approaching the board about acquiring both a Facebook and Twitter account. After some discussion, it was agreed that Soren would discuss the matter with the board.
- Soren has been researching options for streaming audio and possibly video from the SCN meetings. He is in the first steps of identifying free options and he wanted to know the level of interest for streaming meetings among the people present at the meeting. After some discussion, it was agreed that the group was interested in streaming the meetings for those individuals who would be unable to attend the monthly meetings. Soren will continue to research options.
Selection for and discussion of officer and volunteer positions
- Martin volunteered to be the communications committee coordinator. Justin volunteered to assist and support Martin when needed.
- Reham had previously volunteered to be the event coordinator.
- Jenny volunteered to be the return on investment (ROI) coordinator for the monthly SCN meetings.
- Hannah volunteered to be the SCN secretary.
- Lynn and Justin volunteered to be the community builders for the middle/high school.
- Volunteer positions for the teacher appreciation coordinator, the facilities assistance coordinator, the volunteer coordinator, the elementary school community builder, and the student representative coordinator where not filled.
- There was some discussion about the responsibilities of each position, the difference between officers and volunteers, other possible volunteer opportunities, the recruitment of a student event photographer, and other limitations or opportunities for each position. The group also discussed whether it would be appropriate to post photographs of students and whether SCN would need to work with Keith Donahue to ensure that family privacy requests were respected.
Meeting location and time
- After some discussion, it was agreed that SCN meetings will be held on the fourth Tuesday of each month. This decision was made in part because the group would like SCN meetings to take place after the monthly board meetings. It was also agreed that meetings will start at 6 pm. Business items will be discussed between 6 and 6:30 pm. The ROI portion will follow and should last somewhere between 45 to 90 minutes.
Potential SCN survey
- Soren asked the group to bring ideas for survey questions to the next meeting. At that time, the group will discuss the possibility of a SCN survey in more detail.
Kicking off the school year
- Petra discussed the open house at the elementary school and the expectations or requests from school administrators concerning the presence of SCN.
- The group discussed preferred options for collecting contact information from prospective volunteers or interested persons as well as preferred options for distributing information about SCN. It was agreed that SCN members would have paper sign-up sheets and that Soren would email all families about volunteer opportunities a day or two after the open house.
- Petra and Jenny will represent SCN at the elementary school and Lynne (and possibly Soren) will represent SCN at the middle/high school.
First official meeting
- Soren confirmed that the first ROI topic for the year will be navigating Skyward and it was suggested that the meeting be held early in September rather than the typically scheduled SCN meeting date.
- The group agreed to schedule the meeting on Thursday, September 5 at 6 pm (The meeting was later rescheduled for Thursday, September 12 at 6 pm.).
- Soren will post the meeting agenda and he plans to discuss the SCN survey during the next meeting.
First day of school events
- Petra presented some of her ideas to welcome incoming kindergarten families. She is working with Jacque Bettencourt to organize a coffee date with new and past kindergarten families.
- The group agreed that the teacher appreciation lunches should continue to be held on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Justin suggested that the group take a more structured approach to meetings, particularly if meetings will be streamed in the future. It would be difficult for potential listeners to follow the meeting discussion. Soren agreed, and he hopes to streamline the meetings in the next month.
- Jenny asked about approaching the board with some community building ideas for the elementary students. Justin mentioned that he would like to first research some topics or areas of interest and then approach the board. Jenny said she would like to get input from students and families about student led clubs or other interests. After some discussion about the appropriate course of action for SCN to take, it was decided that Justin and Lynn would prepare some preliminary information and present at the next board meeting. They will share their findings at the SCN meeting on Tuesday, September 24. Additionally, Lynn will have a sign-up sheet at the middle/high school open house for those families also interested in pursuing community building opportunities.