Hope you saw us in action at the open houses.
Hope you saw us in action at the open houses.
Minutes are here:
Let us know what you would like to see at school.
We love to see you at the meetings :)
Sage Community Network
October 22, 2013
Present: Soren Jacobsen (President), Petra Schwarthoff (Vice President), Hannah Crumrine (Secretary), Jenean Claus (Event Coordinator), Lael Hansen (General Volunteer Coordinator), Jenny Moorman (ROI Coordinator), Lynn Norton (MHS Community Builder Coordinator), DeAnna Richmond, Chad Alfurel, Lisa Bruner, Veronica Fletcher, Maureen Kuhn, DeAnna Richmond, Rosemarie Schwarzenberger
Next meeting: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
1. Scarecrow Stroll update by Jenean Claus
a. Jenean thought there was a decent turnout for the Stroll and it was easy to work with the Botanical Garden staff. There didn’t seem to be much of a response from parents on VolunteerSpot. For next year Jenean suggested that the group consider an assignment based approach to designating food or cleanup opportunities. Maybe assignments could be based on grade level or the alphabet. This approach might be helpful to those families needing a little more guidance. Soren commented that last year very few families used VolunteerSpot but there ended up being plenty of food. Jenean and Petra said that was not the case this year and as an example, there was nothing for families to drink.
b. Petra suggested there was a communication faux pas with the first announcement about the event. Jenean added that some children showed up with trick or treat bags and expected to receive candy or trinkets. To prevent future communication mishaps Jenean suggested the group rely on just one announcement rather than lots of announcements. There were also some comments from the group that the email link in the announcement was difficult to find and should perhaps be located in a different spot.
c. Lael noted that based on her experiences with the Stroll that families get smarter about what to bring or do; there’s a learning curve.
d. Soren asked for input about the email families received. It was suggested that the group send separate emails about event. Jenean thought that a poster/flyer with fewer words and more direct information could be emailed to families or printed. Lynne suggested placing important information at top of any email and then follow with more detailed information for those who might interested. Petra commented that she did not get the second email and thought the update only went out through Facebook. There was some discussion about families receiving the newsletter but not the email from MailChimp. Most members present seemed to prefer or appreciate Facebook updates.
2. Community Network Kickoff update by Jenean Claus
a. Jenean reminded the group that she is new to the position and might need help with parts of the event. Petra had told her that she needed to think of a theme for the event and she presented the group with three options: 1950s, superheroes, or an international theme.
i. Soren suggested that Jenean talk to Keith Donahue (Facilities and Operations) because the school might not want a theme or a costume event. Soren thinks the school wants more of a mixer and is concerned that the theme element is unappealing to some families and thereby affecting attendance. Soren will send email to both Jenean and Keith to make connection.
b. Petra talked to Keith and children should not attend the event. It is likely that families can leave children at the Middle / High School for childcare.
c. It was mentioned that Lisa Lechner (Business Manager) has been referring to the event as the Fall Parent Social. There was some discussion about what to call the event. It was decided to call it the Community Network Kickoff. Jenean asked whether school administrators and teachers were invited because school emails about the event are specific to parents.
d. Jenean will continue working on a DJ and food.
e. Jenean asked about the wine drawing and Soren explained how the drawing has worked in the past. Someone asked whether the group should try something other than a wine auction, especially because not all families drink alcohol. Petra suggested a silent auction. Soren said that the school prefers the use of something other than silent auction for fundraising. Soren said that wine auction works well because the prize is big and that a gift basket might not be worth the $20 raffle ticket to some families. Soren suggested talking to Keith before breaking away from a fundraising model that seems to be working.
3. Coffee Hour update by Petra Schwarthoff
a. Currently there is no venue for Coffee Hour at the Elementary School and Petra is trying to figure that out. She does not want to offer the gathering at a private residence. Petra is talking with someone from Caffé Capri but nothing has been arranged. The empty bank building is not an option, although the mall might be a consideration in the near future. Petra also mentioned that one mother would like to host an Indian tea morning.
4. Teacher Appreciation
a. Neither volunteer coordinator was present to provide an update.
b. Petra told the group that she sent each coordinator an email about what went well and what could be improved before the next luncheon.
c. Soren explained the process, asked if anyone had not received email about bringing food.
d. There was some concern that not all families are receiving emails from MailChimp. Soren said that 670 emails without duplicates. He will reconcile his distribution lists to see what’s going on.
5. Website revision update by Soren Jacobsen
a. The ad hoc group moving forward. Lael asked whether families could subscribe to the website. Either Soren or Petra will look into adding subscription capabilities to the updated website.
6. High School Community Building update by Lynn Norton
a. The community building group is making progress. Their goal is to develop a high school that looks like a high school rather than a middle or elementary school, which was the original Sage model.
b. The survey results are in and the student have selected a phoenix as the school mascot. The school colors might be crimson/red, and maybe green. c. The group is considering moving to a club model with activities every trimester. In addition to the honor society, students have identified three areas of interest.
i. A performing arts club with a focus on music, art, and drama. The students would like to attend community events and then meet to talk about the outing and their experiences. Lynne is looking for a parent connected to the art community to help with the club.
ii. An international club.
iii. A science club. Again, Lynne is looking for interested parents to help develop the clubs.
d. The students to want a prom and the group needs to form a committee specific to that event. Additionally, Mrs. Hegg (Middle/High School Director) is researching and collecting information about school memorabilia.
e. Chad asked if there was a database for parents to list the resources available to them and could be shared with the school. Petra answered that yes, there is a form on the website asking parents to list the resources they have access to and would be willing to share with the school. The form has not been marketed well but the group updating the website is mindful of changes that need to be made.
f. Lael said that elementary school parents might want to help with the high school clubs or other community building activities because their children will probably attend the high school.
g. Petra added that with two new school directors there are two separate lines of communication and updates coming from the Elementary School and the Middle / High School. She would like to find a way to bridge that gap so that all families are aware of opportunities for involvement at both schools.
7. Soren turned the time over the guest speaker because the group was running behind schedule. If time allowed, the group would discuss the remaining agenda items after the ROI presentation.
8. Ignite Sage update by Soren Jacobsen
9. Topic selection for monthly Return on Investment presentations
10. Junior Achievement
Sage Community Network
September 24, 2013
Present: Reham Aarti, Anja Baird, Justin Boggs (MHS Community Builder Coordinator), Hannah Crumrine (Secretary), Lael Hansen (General Volunteer Coordinator) Soren Jacobsen (President), Martin Johncox (Communications Coordinator), Kerry Marshall (ES Teacher Appreciation Coordinator), Petra Schwarthoff (Vice President)
Next meeting: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
Soren explained to the group that the meeting was not a typical SCN meeting. Instead, the meeting was being held to help organize volunteers in small groups based on interests and was meant to be a working group opportunity. However, due to the low turnout, all discussions were conducted as one large group.
Sage Community Network
September 5, 2013
Present: Too many individuals were present to include names. All the officers and most of the volunteer coordinators plus nearly 100 participants were in attendance.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
Soren informed the group that he was testing the feasibility of recording the business portion of the meeting.
Parent Return on Investment (ROI) topic selection for October
Volunteer debate judges
Mind the Gap kickoff
Middle / High School community building update
Soren reminded people to complete the sign-in sheet. 1) We want to know who is here tonight, and 2) there will be a random drawing for a gift certificate at the end of the meeting.
The meeting was opened to general comments or questions.
A representative from the Tour Boise scavenger hunt presented the date and time of the event. She had flyers for interested persons and teacher packets for those teachers who might be interested in extra credit or supplemental activities.
The Skyward presentation followed the close of the SCN business meeting. See the attached handout materials.
Sage Community Network
August 20, 2013
Reham Aarti, Anja Baird, Justin Boggs, Hannah Crumrine (Secretary), Soren Jacobsen (President), Martin Johncox, Amy Lytle, Jenny Moorman, Lynn Norton, Lee-Mark Ruff, Petra Schwarthoff (Vice President)
Thursday, September 12, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
Reham provided an update about the bike rack for the middle/high school. The project is still in progress but closer to being complete.
Selection for and discussion of officer and volunteer positions
Meeting location and time
Potential SCN survey
Kicking off the school year
First official meeting
First day of school events
Welcome back to school, from the Sage Community Network (SCN)!
We have received a lot of feedback from people interested in volunteering at the school and at SCN functions, so we’ll start by providing that opportunity. The link below will take you to a VolunteerSpot sign up for opportunities.
Volunteer signup link: http://vols.pt/KA9k6B
Of note, there are two types of volunteer opportunities. Those with a single position to fill and those with unlimited positions. Single opportunities are for people that will head up/be responsible for specific efforts while the unlimited spots are just if you have an interest in helping out in this area. Please feel free to sign up for as many areas of interest as you like!
New this year, the community network has a facebook page where we will be posting meeting agends, minutes, event related announcements and more. Facebook page link: http://www.facebook.com/SageSCN
Our first meeting will be September 12th. In addition to covering our usual business (a portion of the meeting that we expect to run from 6:00 to 6:30), we will be giving a tutorial on the use of Skyward. We highly recommend attending at least this portion of the meeting and becoming familiar with one of the most important tools available for taking an active role in your childs education. Note: it is our intention to have a “Parent ROI” activity like this at each meeting, so watch for meeting announcements which will include that months topic. For those not familiar with Skyward, it allows parents to check the most recent grades and find out about past, current and upcoming assignments.
Regular SCN meetings will be on the fourth Tuesday of each month, barring exceptional circumstances (i.e. Christmas Eve).
Teacher Appreciation events will again be the second Wednesday of the month, starting October 9th, more on that as we get closer.
Dates for upcoming SCN activities:
Sep. 12th: SCN meeting and Skyward tutorial
Sep. 24th: SCN meeting focused on volunteer training/prep work
Oct. 9th: First Teacher Appreciation lunch
Late October (date TBA): Scarecrow Stroll at the Botanical Gardens
We continue to seek ways to improve communication and increase participation in the Community Network. We are looking forward to receiving the results from the Parent Survey to see parent's suggestions. Many parents, including a parent of an incoming student, attended the Rountable and their feedback was very helpful.
We discussed improving opportunities for connections within the middle and high school since those students do not stay within the same classroom for the whole year. There was an idea that we provide a directory or sign up to help parents and students connect with other who have similar interests (such as a Comicon group, a ski group, a Pokemon group, a jam session group, ....) This would allow groups with similar interests (like the current running group) to more easily connect with other Sage families.
We are also seeking someone who likes to type to help capture notes from the meetings for posting on the blog to help distribute information to parents who cannot attend the meetings.
There was a discussion about how to connect the families of younger and older students with the two campuses since it is important that the Community Network interact as a single organization. There was a discussion about how older students help in E-Sage and with other school activities involving younger students and how that should be encouraged.
We discussed that we are soon to have a senior class. Our oldest students are just days from being sophomores so the school should identify which part of the school is responsible for high school events and then begin planning with the students what type of high school events they would like to have (prom, senior trip, class rings, etc.) This has already been a topic of discussion among the board but the Community Network also stands ready to assist. Also, a suggestion was made that the high school students may be willing to provide child care for some of the Community Network parent informational events for a fee that could be used as fundraising toward some of these senior/high school events.
Mike Snow talked about the upcoming school-wide campout and the fantastic response for attendance. The spots are now full and there is a waiting list of those who would still like to attend. It will be very well attended so this is an event that the Community Network should continue to support in the future. There are funds available to assist with some of the costs left from the Community Network event at the Visual Arts Collective this Spring. Thanks to all of the parents for your support!
Any ideas for next year or Community Network can be included on the parent survey (the deadline has been extended) or directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for all of the help from parents this year and we are looking forward to working with you again next year.
We discussed the best meeting times for meetings next year and selecting the location best for the program. Next year's Community Network meetings will include a short business meeting and then a parenting topic presenter to enable Sage parents to better understand the IB mission at Sage and community interest topics. There will be a planning meeting during the summer to prepare for next year so please e-mail email@example.com to be sure you are on the e-mail list if you would like to know the time and date.
We will have sign up sheets for Community Network events at the first school-wide event of next school year to encourage volunteers at our community events which include the Welcome Back event, the Scarecrow Stroll at the Botannical Gardens, the parent event at the Visual Arts Collective, Teacher Appreciation Days, classroom coordinators/volunteers, and the end of school picnic. Volunteers who want to help with the End of School picnic can contact
We will continue to pursue options for more bike racks at the middle school.
Did not get it? Check here:
(The links will bring you to our SCN MailChimp account with the newsletter.)
Could not come to our meeting?