September 24, 2013
Present: Reham Aarti, Anja Baird, Justin Boggs (MHS Community Builder Coordinator), Hannah Crumrine (Secretary), Lael Hansen (General Volunteer Coordinator) Soren Jacobsen (President), Martin Johncox (Communications Coordinator), Kerry Marshall (ES Teacher Appreciation Coordinator), Petra Schwarthoff (Vice President)
Next meeting: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 @ the Middle / High School
Soren explained to the group that the meeting was not a typical SCN meeting. Instead, the meeting was being held to help organize volunteers in small groups based on interests and was meant to be a working group opportunity. However, due to the low turnout, all discussions were conducted as one large group.
- Petra led the group with an explanation of the essential agreement contract used by the Elementary School. She explained that students and teachers develop essential agreements to guide their actions and outline expectations. The agreements should reflect the IB principles and attitudes. SCN had wanted each volunteer group to do the same. As a larger group, the individuals present developed the following agreements:
- Take a balanced approach to accomplishing the goals of the school, the students, and SCN.
- Be respectful, empathetic, and confident when communicating with others.
- Remember that SCN exists, in part, to support the school administration and its goals and culture.
- Petra and Soren had put together information folders for the committees to be given to each committee coordinator. Because so many coordinators were absent, Petra briefly presented the purpose of each committee and the information available in the folders. Group discussion accompanied some of the coordinator positions but not all.
- There was some discussion about designing a website for “Creating a High School”. Although not necessarily related to community building, Soren mentioned his idea of Ignite Sage, which will be a spin-off of Ignite Boise. Soren thought a presentation by the HS Community Builder would be a nice addition to Ignite Sage. Because Ignite Sage is likely an ROI event, Jenny Moorman needs to be involved in the discussion.
- Earlier in the day it was discovered that the preferred date for the Scarecrow Stroll conflicted with parent/teacher conferences. Because the event coordinator was not at the meeting, Soren volunteered to follow-up on selecting a new date.
- Anja asked about questions about student activities. A brief discussion about the activities posted on the website followed. Ideas like a ski club or a science camp were mentioned.
- The group talked about networking and communicating, the Facebook account, the email account, etc.